Refrigerants and other HVAC systems are causing damage to our ozone layer. Therefore, we are on the lookout for lower energy bills, reduced carbon footprint, complete climate control and longer lifespan.
New refrigerants, the use of intelligent electronics in system components, increasing energy efficiency requirements for air-conditioning and refrigeration systems, stricter regulations, new system concepts and client-specific solutions are the challenges faced by the HVAC industry. It is crucial to have the right refrigerant for each application and environment.
Harvinder Bhatia, Managing Director BITZER India says, “As a driver of innovation in the air-conditioning and refrigeration industry, BITZER has been offering climate-friendly, energy-efficient solutions for a whole host of applications for centuries.” These are ideal for a populous country like India, where the transition to sustainable and intelligent technologies is a high priority due to the significant environmental impact. It’s going to take brand-new system concepts and further development of existing ones to phase out high-GWP refrigerants, which have always been the ones most commonly used.
ORBIT+ and ORBIT FIT series by BITZER India
Flexible solutions for the HVAC industry, ORBIT+ and ORBIT FIT series, takes compressor performance to a new level, enabling users to meet the strictest energy efficiency standards. ORBIT+ with line start permanent magnet motor boosts scroll chiller and heat pump system efficiency. The economiser operation of ORBIT FIT (flexible injection technology) enlarges the application envelope and increases capacity as well as efficiency. Bhatia says, “All ORBIT series can be used with BITZER Advanced Header Technology (BAHT) in more than 700 tandem and trio combinations, which can also be uneven, meaning they combine different compressor types. The technology guarantees proper compressor lubrication and reduces costs, increasing overall system economy.” All series are suitable for A1 refrigerants like R410A as well as for the low-GWP A2L refrigerants R454B, R452B and R32. Furthermore, ORBIT compressors are easy to install, compact in size and have very low noise emissions.
Selecting suitable HVAC systems for a manufacturing plant
According to Sunil Khatwani, Business Head & Vice President, System Air Conditioning Division, LG Electronics India Pvt. Ltd, the selection criteria for air conditioning systems in manufacturing plants depends upon the following factors:
• Temperature and humidity desired
• Capacity, performance and spatial requirements
• Initial and running costs
• Availability of water for the HVAC system
• Required system reliability and flexibility
• Architectural constraints
• Air filtration requirements
• Guidance on meeting workplace legislation
• Air exhaust from the factory area
• Completion time
HVAC contributing to sustainability, productivity and energy efficiency
The efficacy of air conditioning system design directly impacts the productivity of employees. Khatwani says, “Refrigerants used should not harm the ozone layer, for e.g. Freon-22 (R 22) should not be used. ”Highly energy efficient systems are easily available now. Some examples are:
• Using inverter ducted units instead of conventional fixed speed ducted units
• Using inverter scroll chillers instead of conventional fixed speed scroll chillers
• Using oil free magnetic centrifugal chillers instead of conventional screw or centrifugal chillers
• Using AHU’s connected to VRF outdoor units instead of conventional fixed speed ducted or packaged units
According to Bhatia BITZER offers an extensive portfolio of energy-efficient and environmental friendly HVAC solutions. Apart from products using low-GWP refrigerants, another great possibility to reduce energy costs are frequency inverter driven solutions. Like this, users can smoothly adjust a compressor’s capacity to meet the actual requirements and save energy. If the motor is controlled by a frequency inverter, the frequency of the starting current, and thus the speed of the motor can be adapted to the required refrigerating capacity. If less energy is required at certain points in the process, the frequency inverter can adjust the electrical frequency and slow the motor down. This ensures that the engine consumes only the energy the process needs right now. Such an energy-efficient solution is the intelligent, speed-controlled CSV series.
Bhatia says, “The CSW105 is a unique innovation in the field of compact screw compressors. This series can be used with R134a, R513A, R450A, R1234yf and R1234ze(E) for improved energy efficiency.” CSW105 boasts high cooling capacities of up to 1,500 kW in water-cooled chillers while relying on mechanical capacity regulation. The series offers displacements of up to 2,000 m³/h at 50 Hz. Its integrated electronic IQ module operates the compressor functions and simplifies the integration into the chiller control.
Tech advances to look out for in 2019
In 2018, LG embarked on the journey of GREENOVATION i.e. green, innovative products in the commercial air conditioning space. Khatwani says, “We now have the widest range of green gas based innovative products with high energy efficiencies for 2019.
The latest product introductions are:
• High energy efficiency VRF systems: One of the most energy efficient VRF systems in the industry
• Inverter ducted units (high static): The most energy efficient ducted split system in India with low noise levels and green gas
• Inverter ducted units (low static):Lowest height of only 190 mm- up to 2.0 TR with low noise levels and a green gas
• Inverter cassette units, inverter floor standing units and inverter rooftop units with a green gas.
• Magnetic bearing centrifugal chillers (oil free) – 260 TR to 2200 TR with a green gas: World class energy efficiency (COP up to 7.0) with lower footprint, lower noise levels and consistent performance over time.
• Air bearing centrifugal chillers (oil free) – 100 TR to 300 TR with a green gas: A technological innovation by LG – World class energy efficiency (COP up to 6.4) with lower footprint, lower noise levels and consistent performance over time
• Inverter scroll chillers (air cooled) – 20 TR to 180 TR with a green gas
The Indian market will be shaped by climate-friendly and energy-efficient solutions in the future: the costs for refrigerants with high global warming potential (GWP) are rising. Bhatia says, “BITZER has centuries of experience using low-GWP refrigerants – an expertise which is also essential in India. BITZER ORBIT scroll compressors and BITZER CSV screw compressors are particularly efficient solutions for air-conditioning applications.” The latter offer a unique benefit: they are extremely efficient and are optimised for use in air-conditioning systems, reversible chillers and heat pump applications as well as in industrial process cooling. According to Bhatia, due to an integrated frequency inverter, they simplify to a high degree the installation and safe use of speed controlled compressors in relevant applications. These particularly powerful compressors have a displacement of up to 1,156 m3/h (50 Hz). The series operates with a wide range of control, is ideal for systems with high part-load and meets the most stringent requirements in terms of seasonal efficiency.
HVAC industry to be ‘Industry 4.0 ready’?
It is beyond doubt that digitalisation changes our industry, being first and foremost an issue of improving availability, expanding application limits and increasing system efficiency. BITZER offers digitalised solutions such as the BITZER selection software, the customisable platform myBITZER or intelligent products, all of which enable users to select and operate HVAC components in the best possible way.
Refrigerants used should not harm the ozone layer for e.g. Freon-22 (R 22) should not be used.
Sunil Khatwani, Business Head & Vice President, System Air Conditioning Division, LG Electronics India Pvt. Ltd
ORBIT+ and ORBIT FIT series, takes compressor performance to a new level, enabling users to meet the strictest energy efficiency standards.
Harvinder Bhatia, Managing Director BITZER India